The Buchanites founded Crocketford village in 1787. This religious sect comprised of adherents of Elizabeth Buchan (1738-91), who believed she was the woman referred to in Revelations 12. Elizabeth Buchan managed to persuade others that she had heavenly powers, and they joined her to become the original settlers in Crocketford. They lived here in a convent, the building we now know as The Galloway Arms Hotel.

A former convent, it was named ‘The New Inn’ when it opened as a Hotel in1856, later changing to The Galloway Arms Hotel & for a short while ‘The Viking Lodge Hotel’. Originally one of three Hotels in Crocketford, The Galloway Arms has stood the test of time & is now the only remaining Hotel in the village. Rabbie Burns, the famous Scots poet, visited the building in 1793 as part of his Galloway tour.

The village of Crocketford is also known as the Nine Mile Bar, a name that dates from the establishment of a road toll bar here in the 18th Century. During the black plague, the Dumfries markets were moved to the village in accordance with a 9-mile quarantine to prevent a further spread of the epidemic. Situated in the centre of Crocketford village, the hotel has been family owned and managed since Noky Watson purchased it in 1996. One of your hosts, Pat Watson, was born and raised in a house just a couple of miles from the Hotel.

The family tradition of a warm welcome and good quality, home cooked food from local produce continues to this day. The Hotel has ten en-suite rooms, a wonderful Restaurant, Front Lounge area, a busy Bar with pool table and jukebox and ‘Lounge Bar’ with garden views for meetings or small functions.